Sunday, November 11, 2012

It's been 6 years!

Saturday, November 11, 2006.
There was a flurry of activity in the room that morning as my bridesmaids helped me get ready. We heard a knock and were all surprised to see my groom poke his head around the door. "Shuggy!!!", I squealed with excitement, dropping everything and making a beeline for the door. The girls tried to shoo him away, insisting that he was not supposed to see the bride before the ceremony. Paying them no mind, I ran into his arms and as he held me, I closed my eyes and said a quick thank you to God. My heart was filled with joy and gratitude. They teased us and we laughed. That was the beginning.
I knew my life would change when I said my vows that day. What I didn't know, was how significant that change would be.



Sunday, November 11, 2012.
It's been six years.

We started this journey in a tiny apartment, our mattress on the floor, watching bootleg copies of Lost and Grey's Anatomy, because we couldn't afford a bed or cable TV. The AC we inherited from the previous tenants helped keep things cozy, perfect weather for getting to "know" each other. Good times!

We've had good days. Lots of them. We've seen our dreams become reality. Our goals and projections have not only been met, they've been exceeded. We've seen God come through for us time and again. God has been kind to us. We couldn't have done it without Him.

We've had bad days. Times when giving up seemed like a better option. Days when love became a choice, a tough one, because the feeling was just not there.

We have made it through the storms, surviving love's ebb and flow. We have laughed and cried together. We've evolved and grown together. We have made memories together. As I look back on the past six years, my heart is filled with gratitude to God.

I'm grateful for all His blessings, especially the ones that money cannot buy.

I am grateful for the opportunity to walk this journey with you Adebola, the love of my life and the life that I love. My booboookins. All round great guy, steady proving to me that there is a God. Putting up with my skoin skoin issues. Keeping my heart tender. Letting me thrive. When I count my blessings, I count you twice. Olowo ori mi. Nwoke e ji eje mba. I celebrate you.

I'm grateful for Nathan Ademide, Alexis Ademidun and David Ademidara, the children God gave us. If God's blessings were earned, I would not qualify.

Moshopef'OluwanitoriwipeOsh'orenlafunmi. If I had a thousand tongues  they would not be enough.

I have no idea what the future holds. Truth be told, I am afraid sometimes. What if...? To keep fear at bay, I keep reminding myself of the scripture God gave me in the beginning
"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear..."                             1 John 4:18 
The truth is that in life, there are no guarantees.
Life happens and there will always be things that are beyond my control. I have the option of refusing to maximize my life by living in fear, or  choosing to make the best of what God has given me, trusting Him to perfect what He has started.

I look forward to the future holding firmly unto this promise:
"Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ"    Philippians 1:6 
Thanks for coming by again and again.
May your dreams come true.
xxx

54 comments:

  1. ohhh i want to cry. this is soooo sweeet :)
    Happy anniversary Gbemi! I use u and ur marriage as a point of contact oh! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jumz.
      God who made it happen for us will make it happen for you! He's got you covered :)

      Delete
  2. Blessings and congratulations, you both look beautiful together and i can see you are happy because you laugh and smile with all of you. may you have 6x6x6x6x6x6x6 more and may you always nourish the love through it all.

    peace...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwww chei this so sweeeeeeeeet eh! Happy anniversary and many more years to you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary gbemi. U r truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Gbemi, I had Goosebumps reading this.

    Like I have told you before, our stories are similar and reading this felt like you were speaking for me. We'll swap stories someday.

    God bless you and yours, say another thank you for this blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats babe...im happy for u guys.life gives no guarantee but our faith us of a sureone girl.he has begun a good work in ur family he is faithful to bring it to.completion

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, happy anniversary. Kai, even my head was swelling as I read this. Many more wonderful years together

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice Anon: I've almost never seen a groom look so happy on his wedding day. So cute! Awwwww May God continue to bless you and your family. Here's to many more till you two part to be with the Lord. AMEN! love youuuuuu

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!!! Many more blessed years to come in Jesus Name. Keep shining for Christ in your marriage x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwwww this was so sweet!
    Baba God do weeet for your dota too!
    Lol, congrats Gbemi!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy aniversary, this post radiates so much love ehn...i am blushing as if na me be your Hubby.

    I wish you many more years in love, peace, health and everything good you can think of.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary to you and the hubz. *raises glass* here's wishing you 60+ more :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blessings and more to you and yours. Happy Happy anniversary, the good Lord will continue to order your steps now and always.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gosh! So beautiful! Happy Anniversary!!!! Wish you many more glorious years together xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy anniversary Gbemisoke, this is sooo sweet! Wish you more happy years ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy wedding anniversary, Gbemi. I pray ypu guys last together forever, till the end of your stay on this side of heaven

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is sooooooo sweet. God bless you. congratulations and I wish you many more happy years

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aww.....so sweet!
    May God grant you both many more years of happiness and good health. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  19. awwwww*teary eyes*....so sweet..GOD will continue to bless and strengthen your union in Jesus name..amen! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awwwwwww Gbemi tnk u for inspiring me with lovely post..God bless you n ur family*Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is soooo sweet! May God continue to hold you guys and keep you going strong. Amen. Lovely family, cute kids, gbaski husband. In fact, you're blessed! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  22. How come nobody mentioned the getting to 'know' each other part she mentioned.... Enjoyment thinz on the floor :)

    Happy anniversary Gbemi, abeg keep the 'knowing' each other part bubbling o :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrat Gbemi wish you the very best in life you are such an amazing woman your write up always motivate me cos am newly married..i met your husband sometime last year and he was shocked when i said*excuse me sir are you gbemi's husband he was very shy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful, BEAUTIFUL. My heart is overwhelmed with joy, anticipation and love for you and your journey and your family. God Blessings will continue to flow in and through you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy anniversary. More happy good days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Babes, I had a smile on my face throughout the read...

    awwwwwww...*teary*..... your family and love is truly beautiful...

    I pray for many more happy years. Here is to another 20plus years... HAPPY ANNIVERSARY.. LOVE...

    Btw am itching to know how two met awwwwwwww..

    your children are blessed.. keep having a grateful hearts...

    beautiful names for the children too. xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. btw u have changed the title of the blog.. just clocked..

    awww miss u being a taylor...
    sha u will still sow for me one day... promise oo..xxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. i love this post ooo... i keep reading it... the happiness on your faces wow.it a feel good post.... shared it with a friend and she LOVED it too.. xxxx

    God will continue to bless your home and inspire you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy Anniversary!! You two look so great together! I wish you many many happy years together...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow,nice piece,well crafted.Loving life,living in love.But I've learnt through you that marriages get to the point that love can fade,but perfect love casteth out fear.Ephesians 5:21-33 summarizes it all & I intend to follow through with God's help when I get to that point.Happy married life & more blessings ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy Annivesary Gbemi
    May your lives together (like wine) only get better and sweeter as the years go by.

    You know Him who holds tomorrow....Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  32. Belated anniversary wishes. I pray that you and your husband and entire family continue in his grace and love. Many more blessings and years of a happy and healthy marriage to you.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Happy Anniversary Gbemi! This is such a lovely heartfelt post/letter. How beautiful. May you celebrate many, many more IJN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy Anniversary. I had smiles all through! May God deep root your marriage in his Love, now and always

    ReplyDelete
  35. Belated Anniversary wishes! You two look really great together. Yeah, the future is in his almighty hands. Following you.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Happy anniversary....u have an amazing family...my roomates and I hv been talkin bout how cute ur kids r. I pray ur marriage will wax stronger..
    I love ur blog as well... *see me wishing i had kids oo*

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love your blog! Hope you plan to share the testimony soon.i just read your archive too.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Awwww, love this post. This part jumped at me, and increased my respect for you: 'We started this journey in a tiny apartment, our mattress on the floor, watching bootleg copies of Lost and Grey's Anatomy, because we couldn't afford a bed or cable TV.' In a world where a lot of girls wait for the man to have it all before taking the plunge into marri9age, you are a rare breed. God has not even begun what He wants to do in your lives yet. Keep on believing, and keep on loving that prince that He sent into your life and you will marvel at the things that will unfold. Happy anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Other comments have said it all. You both look beautifully happy! May your love continue to grow through Him, with Him, In Him. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Am soo happy for you! first time here, and I am so impress. Your are sooo lively. Me like.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Beautiful!

    Lovely blog and post! Praise God for you!

    Happy anniversaire in areas.

    ReplyDelete
  42. It's never too late to wish one a happy anniversary so here's mine,Happy anniversary.May God who started it never leave it unattended to.Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  43. New to your blog but what a wonderfully sweet post, May God continue to uphold your marriage IJN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. New to your blog but what a wonderfully sweet post, May God continue to uphold your marriage IJN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God and the communion f the Holyspirit be with you and your entire family in the mighty name of Jesus. This is indeed very inspiring dear. Thx for always being there. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  46. Happy Anniversary! I have heard so many nice things about you from my friend Buky of Bukville. I can see why:) Keep doing what you're doing! Following you on twitter - I look forward to connecting with you:)! Stay blessed & CONGRATS again.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Gbemi! It's Aderonke I got your message but I don't know how/where to reply you. I'm fine and my okan is drawing to thee too!

    please send me an email two7ten@yahoo.com

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  48. Blessings and happy new year....
    may love be your foundation, God be your inspiration and peace flow infinitely through you, you home and your family.

    peace.
    Rhapsody
    http://rappingonamelody.blogspot.ca/
    http://rappingonamelody.blogspot.ca/p/guestbook.html
    https://plus.google.com/101099217204323189067
    http://www.shelfari.com/rhapsodyphoenix
    http://twitter.com/rhapsodyphoenix
    https://www.facebook.com/RhapsodyPhoenix

    ReplyDelete
  49. GOD BLESS YOUR HOME MA'AM AND KEEP YOU AND YOURS SAFE AND TOGETHER NOW AND ALWAYS.

    ReplyDelete

Do drop a line. Thanks...